Wednesday, January 20, 2016

Get to Know the Future of Toledo Rocket Football


GET TO KNOW THE CLASS OF 2016 -- TOLEDO COMMITS THUS FAR
By: Zach Harig -- @ToledoZach on Twitter




RB - SHAKIF SEYMOUR 
Cleveland, Ohio
High School: Holy Name
Committed to Toledo: May 22, 2015

Offers: Bowling Green, Miami (OH), Western Michigan, Kent State, Old Dominion, Akron, Ball State, Buffalo, Toledo and more.

Caliber: Rivals -- 3-star       247Sports -- 2-star

Senior Season Stats: 1,065 yards, 16 touchdowns just over four games before being injured.

Recruited to Toledo by: Former head coach Matt Campbell and current runningbacks coach, Anthony Johnson.

Expectations: "My expectations are to come in and do whatever it takes to help the team. I really hope people look back and say this is the best recruiting class to ever come through Toledo."

Models Game After: Pittsburgh Steelers runningback, Le'Veon Bell.

Will Major In: Business.





DE - EDRICK MATHEWS II
Detroit, Mich.
High School: Cass Technical
Committed to Toledo: September 4, 2015

Offers: Eastern Michigan, Western Michigan, Bowling Green, Iowa State and Toledo.

Caliber: Rivals -- 2-star      247Sports -- 2-star

Senior Season Stats: 73 tackles, 14 sacks, 34 tackles for loss, forced fumble.

Recruited to Toledo by: Matt Campbell staff.

Expectations: "To work hard and win championships while earning my degree. My expectations are the the Class of 2016 will come in and try to fight for some starting jobs and for as much playing time as we can get. I also expect us to be one of the best recruiting classes to ever come through Toledo."

Reason for Choosing Toledo: "I felt like I belong there and the educational opportunities I could have at school."

Models Game After: Nobody.

Will Major In: Communications & Broadcasting.




DB - ALONZO MCCOY
Redford, Mich.
High School: Lee M. Thurston
Committed to Toledo: 
March 21, 2015

Offers: Bowling Green, Eastern Michigan, Temple, Navy, Army, Ohio, Central Michigan, Buffalo and Toledo.

Caliber: Rivals -- 2-star     247Sports -- 3-star

Senior Season Stats -- Offense (QB/RB/WR): 23 touchdowns, over 2,000 total yards.
Defense: 83 tackles, 2 interceptions, 3 forced fumbles, 5 tackles for loss.
Special Teams: 2 kick return touchdowns.

Recruited to Toledo by: Former cornerbacks coach, D.K. McDonald.

Expectations: "I expect to come in and make a big impact right away while getting my degree and creating a positive future for myself. When people look back in four years, I hope they will say that this was the best recruiting class to ever come through Toledo."

Models Game After: Darrelle Revis and Tyrann Mathieu but I like to learn from everybody.





TE - KEIDREN DAVIS
Grand Rapids, Mich.
High School: Grand Rapids Union
Committed to Toledo: June 27, 2015 

Offers: Duke, Air Force, Ball State, Davenport University, and Toledo.

Caliber: Rivals -- 2-star     247Sports -- No Rating

Recruited to Toledo by: Wide Receivers Coach, Derek Sage along with former tight ends coach, Bryan Gasser.

Expectations: "I trust in Coach Robby Discher and Coach Sage to mold me into the player I'm meant to be, I would love to play in the NFL one day but for the next four years, I intend to contribute any way I can to win ball games. I feel like I can bring a lot of versatility to the tight end, especially in the pass game. As a team, I see a lot of success and wins in our future."

Quotes: "It was love at first sight. I met Coach Sage at the Michigan State camp and ended up coming to the Toledo camp after I was offered. I took a few visits after and loved the campus, I could actually see myself there for the up and coming years. The facilities were crazy and the coaching was phenomenal! I feel confident I will reach my full potential at Toledo. I met all the new staff and it was a rocky coaching change but I'm still 100% on board with Jason Candle and the Rockets, I really can't wait to play for him."

Will Major In: Undecided.




WR - NERU N'SHAKA 
Hallandale Beach, Florida
High School: Hallandale
Committed to Toledo:
December 19, 2015

Offers: Virginia, Marshall, Bowling Green, Florida International and Toledo.

Caliber: Rivals -- 3-star       247Sports -- 3-star

Recruited to Toledo by: Jason Candle

Expectations & Quotes: "I'm expected to come in and make a HUGE impact. Toledo is the best fit for me and we expect nothing but MAC Championships."

Models Game After: Tavon Austin.

Will Major In: Undecided.




DE - TUZAR SKIPPER 
Norwich, Conn.
High School: Norwich Free Academy
Junior College: Monroe College 
New Rochelle, NY
Committed to Toledo: December 17, 2015

Offers: Florida International, Rhode Island, Idaho, Norfolk State, Bethune-Cookman and Toledo.

Caliber: Rivals -- 2-star       247Sports -- 2-star

Sophomore Season Stats (JUCO): 30 tackles, 7.5 sacks, blocked punt, blocked field goal.

Recruited to Toledo by: Ricky Ciconne, new Director of High School Relations.

Expectations: "My expectation is to enjoy my time here in Toledo, it's a once in a lifetime opportunity and I'm going to make the most of it."

Quotes: "The coaches are great and the guys here are some dogs on the field. Also, this school takes academics just as serious as football, they want you to finish with a degree."

*Two years of eligibility remaining.*




TE - NATE SWART 
Washington, Penn.
High School: Washington
Committed to Toledo: March 27, 2015

Offers: Youngstown State and Toledo.

Caliber: Rivals -- 2-star          247Sports -- 2-star

Senior Season Stats (Offense): 8 catches, 225 yards, 3 touchdowns.
(Defense): 50 tackles, 4 sacks, 13.5 tackles for loss.

Recruited to Toledo by: Jason Candle

Expectations: "I'm expecting to work my ass off right out of the gate."

Will Major In: Accounting.

Models Game After: Pittsburgh Steelers Heath Miller.





DB - DEDARALLO BLUE 

Seffner, Florida
High School: Armwood
Committed to Toledo: January 8, 2015

Offers: Iowa State, North Dakota State and Toledo.

Caliber: Rivals -- 3-star        247Sports -- 3-star

Senior Season Stats: 90 tackles, 66 solo, 13 tackles for a loss, 16 sacks, 1 interception.

Recruited to Toledo by: Jason Candle.

Expectations: "The 2016 class is full of hard workers. In four years, I want to be a graduate with a college diploma and play at the next level."

Models Game After: "I feel like the way I play is one of a kind, nobody plays like me, but I like to learn from Sean Taylor."

Will Major In: Communication & Arts.






OL - LUKE DOERGER 

Cincinnati, Ohio
High School: LaSalle
Committed to Toledo:
July 23, 2015

Offers: Akron, Buffalo, Miami (OH), Ohio, Marshall, James Madison, Holy Cross, Army, Navy, Yale, Dartmouth, Princeton, Penn, Columbia, Iowa State and Toledo.

Caliber: Rivals -- 2-star          247Sports -- 2-star

Stats: Started every game from freshman through senior year -- 50 consecutive starts at LaSalle High School.

Recruited to Toledo by: Began being recruited freshman year of high school by now-former offensive line coach, Tom Manning and head coach Matt Campbell. Since the change, Doerger's main recruiter has been new offensive line coach, Mike Hallett.

Expectations: "My hopes for myself at the University of Toledo include receiving my masters degree in Engineering and developing in all aspects of my life (academically, athletically, socially, and spiritually) to become the best version of myself I can be. As far as the team goes, I expect nothing less than to continue Toledo's tradition and progression of excellence on and off of the field."

Quotes: "What I like about my class is that they are a good group of young men. None of them have very large egos, they are all hard-working team players and we've already established somewhat of a brotherhood among ourselves which will set us up for success."

Models Game After: "One NFL player I try to model after is JJ Watt. Though there is the obvious difference between offensive line and defensive line, there are some main character attributes which are key to both sides of the ball. These of which Mr. Watt holds are humility, discipline, tenacity, and an unparalleled passion for the game."

Will Major In: Mechanical or Industrial Engineering.






LB - RON GEORGE 

Pittsburgh, Penn.
High School: Central Catholic
Committed to Toledo: December 25, 2015

Offers: Temple, Western Michigan, Old Dominion, Miami (OH), Bowling Green, Virginia, Youngstown State and Toledo.

Caliber: Rivals -- 2-star      247Sports -- 3-star

Senior Season Stats: over 60 tackles.

Recruited to Toledo by: Former head coach, Matt Campbell, former linebackers coach, Tyson Veidt and Jason Candle. Fellow Toledo commit, Ronnie Jones also recruited George.

Expectations: "Of course I expect a MAC Championship, win all of our bowl games and make non-believers into believers."

Models Game After: Pittsburgh Steelers linebacker, Ryan Shazier.

Will Major In: Criminal Justice or Business.





DL - WILLIE ROSS

Ravenna, Ohio
High School: Ravenna
Committed to Toledo: May 7, 2015

Offers: Akron, Kent State and Toledo.

Caliber: Rivals -- N/A      247Sports -- 2-star

Season Season Stats (Offense): 611 yards rushing, 11 touchdowns. (Defense): 69 tackles, 37 solo, 10 sacks, 12 hurries, 12 tackles for loss and 2 forced fumbles.

Recruited to Toledo by: Former offensive line coach Tom Manning.

Expectations: "As a team goal, I just want to have a successful season but as an individual my goal is to first make sure I grow a relationship with each player and coach. Another goal is to be a starter and not red-shirted. I also want to push myself to my full potential on the field and in the classroom."

Models Game After: Ndamukong Suh.

Will Major In: Something in the medical field.





WR - OBI ANUNIKE 

Lewis Center, Ohio
High School: Olentangy
Committed to Toledo: June 27, 2015

Offers: Ohio, Eastern Michigan, Davidson and Toledo.

Caliber: Rivals -- 3-star         247Sports -- N/A

Senior Season Stats: 60 catches, 850 yards, 11 touchdowns.

Recruited to Toledo by: Former recruiting coordinator, Tyson Veidt.

Expectations: "I expect nothing less than four MAC titles at Toledo because of how much I believe in Coach Candle."

Models Game After: "Demarius Thomas is my favorite wide receiver but I look up to my brother, who is a defensive end with the Denver Broncos, Kenny Anunike."

Will Major In: Medicine.




ATH - BILLY KISNER 

Pittsburgh, Penn.
High School: Penn Hills
Committed to Toledo: March 28, 2015

Recruitment: "I was recruited to Toledo as an Athlete but Coach Candle said I'll be mainly offense and kick/punt return."

Offers: Pittsburgh, James Madison, Albany and Toledo.

Caliber: Rivals -- 2-star      247Sports -- 2-star

Senior Season Stats: Over 1,000 All-Purpose yards, 2 rushing touchdowns, 3 passing touchdowns, played in just five of team's ten games due to injury.

Recruited to Toledo by: Jason Candle.

Expectations: "My expectations for myself and for the team is to be a team captain and lead by example both on and off the field and in the community. I expect nothing less than First-Team All-Conference because of how hard I'll work."

Models Game After: "I probably model my game after a Charles Woodson or Deion Sanders athletically but off of the field conduct myself like Russell Wilson. On the field, I have fun like Cam Newton."

Will Major In: Criminal Justice or Education.






RB - RONNIE JONES 

Pittsburgh, Penn.
High School: Central Catholic
Committed to Toledo: March 28, 2015

Offers: Fordham, Kent State, Buffalo and Toledo.

Caliber: Rivals -- 2-star         247Sports -- 2-star

Senior Season Stats: 1,889 all-purpose yards, 21 touchdowns.

Recruited to Toledo by: Jason Candle.

Expectations: "My expectations at UT are to just have fun, play good football, and focus on my education. Ultimately, I want to lead myself to a good path of success."

Models Game After: Utah runningback, Devontae Booker.

Will Major In: Business.




P - ZACH HOOVER (PWO)
Toledo, Ohio
High School: Toledo Central Catholic
Committed to Toledo:
August 11, 2015

Offers: Preferred Walk-On to Syracuse, Preferred Walk-On to Iowa State and Preferred Walk-On to Toledo.

Caliber: Kohl's Kicking -- 4.5 Stars (of 5)

Senior Season Stats: 55 punts, 42.2 average, 28 punts inside the 20-yard line, 12 inside the 10-yard line, 2 60+ yard punts. First-team All-Ohio, First-team All-District.

Recruited to Toledo by: Former tight ends coach Bryan Gasser and former head coach, Matt Campbell.

Expectations: "I want people to say, 'That was the top recruiting class in Toledo's history' when they look back. I definitely feel we have the athletes to be that and I feel we're coming in with high expectations and I know we can meet them all."

Quotes: "I love Toledo, I love the coaching, even with the changes, and I especially like what I know about the new special teams coordinator (Robby Discher). I really like all of the guys coming into this class with me and I think Toledo is on the rise and will continue being in the Top-25. I think it will be really cool to stay home and do what every kid dreams of, which is to play college ball, and being able to do that in my hometown will be really special."

Models Game After: "I take bits and pieces from all NFL guys, but I have worked out with former Dolphins punter, Brandon Fields, he is known around Toledo and is a graduate of St. John's Jesuit."

Will Major In: General Business.





ARTICLE NOTES:

  • Toledo verbal commit DB Jamal Hudson (Miami, FL) declined comment for this article.
  • Toledo verbal commit ATH James Jackson (Pittsburgh, PA) did not respond for the article.
  • Toledo verbal commit DB Jordan Williams (Pflugerville, TX) could not be reached for the article.
  • Toledo verbal commit DB Justin Clark (Bloomfield, MI) could not be reached for the article.


QUESTIONS? COMMENTS? NATIONAL SIGNING DAY NEWS WILL BE COMING! TALK TOLEDO FOOTBALL WITH ZACH ON TWITTER: @ToledoZach 

No comments:

Post a Comment