Thursday, January 28, 2016

Toledo Football Recruiting Update

TOLEDO RECRUITING CLASS NOT FULL YET -- WHO TO WATCH FOR:

THANKS FOR READING! 14,000 PAGE VIEWS!

BY: ZACH HARIG (@ToledoZach on Twitter) -- January 28, 2016
The Candle era is underway.
The 2016 recruiting class has been shaping up well for the Toledo Rockets as of late, but inside of one week until signing day, Power Five schools are looking to fill their recruiting classes with MAC-level commits, which is part of college football. In recent years, Toledo has been plagued by bigger programs stealing commits just days before signing day. In the 2014 class, it was an incoming phenom out of Ithaca, Mich. named Travis Smith. Many thought the four-time MHSAA State Champion could come into The Glass City and compete for the starting job right away.

Instead, former Bowling Green head coach, Dave Clawson, called Smith just days before National Signing Day and reportedly promised him the starting quarterback job for all four years at Wake Forest. Ultimately, Smith would decommit from Toledo and commit to the Demon Deacons. Just months later in fall camp, Smith was beat out for the starting job by a fellow true-freshman and would transfer to Eastern Michigan, before deciding to transfer from Eastern Michigan just months later once again and the list doesn't end there.

Last year, in the Class of 2015, Fort Wayne, Ind. defensive back, Jessie Bates was prized as one of the best commits in Toledo's class. However, once again, Clawson offered Bates just days before National Signing Day and the then-Toledo commit would flip his fax to the Deacons. Bates would not play in the 2015-16 season as a true-freshman.

Miami, Fla. product Jamal Hudson, who decommitted from
Toledo earlier this week. Photo Courtesy: 247Sports.
Once again, like prior years, the Rockets have had two decommitments in the previous week as Miami, Fla. defensive back, Jamal Hudson and Pittsburgh, Penn. linebacker, Ron George have decided against Toledo. Hudson tells me he will decide between Air Force, Appalachian State, and Florida Atlantic most likely on National Signing Day.

From the day Hudson "committed" to Toledo on December 31, there have been doubters on if he truly wanted to play in The Glass City. In fact, one anonymous commit told me that he could tell on their official visit that Hudson didn't want to play in Toledo and had a stand-offish approach to him.

George on the other hand, a three-star linebacker and one of the top commits, at the time, in Toledo's class, decided to make a lateral flip. After visiting Western Michigan on January 22, George informed the Toledo coaching staff and a few commits that he would become a Bronco rather than a Rocket.

"Western Michigan was a better fit for me as a player and as a person," George told me, "My family loved it. I feel like I can play anywhere in the country but the off-the-field benefits played a major role (in flipping commitments). The things they teach you about life and how to become a better man are just remarkable to say the least," George continued on his commitment to Fleck and the Broncos.

Newest Toledo commit, Tre'Shun Wilson.
So what's next after losing two solid commits? Those questions are slowly but surely finding answers prior to Wednesday. On Thursday, Toledo received a commitment from Tre'Shun Wilson out of Montgomery, Alabama. Wilson is a freak athlete at the linebacker position, standing 6'1", nearly 200-pounds with a 4.53 40-yard dash. Other than the physical attributes, Wilson has had a stressful recruiting period to say the least. The Alabama native had offers from Colorado State, Alabama A&M, and Delaware State but when Wilson went to take visits, the coaching staffs informed him that they were full and that he would be placed on hold. That is, until Coach Jason Candle and the Rockets called. Wilson will visit Northwest Ohio for the first time on the weekend of January 29.

"Toledo never left me hanging," Wilson told me, "Coach Ricky (Ciccone - new Director of High School Relations) never left me hanging, even though they didn't offer me (at the time), he would still always check up on me."

With Wilson's commitment, he becomes the first true linebacker in the Class of 2016 for the Rockets after George's decommitment.

At defensive back, the Rockets have turned to a junior college product in Baltimore native, Darren Kelley. The 6'1", 200-pound safety is a dangerous ball-hawking athlete who registered a 34-inch vertical two years ago at Potomac high school in Maryland.

"My top three are Northern Iowa, North Dakota State and Toledo," Kelley told me, "I turned down offers from other FBS schools because of the quality of UNI and NDSU. I visited UNI last week, got back from Toledo yesterday (the 27th), and I'll be at NDSU on the 29th."
Darren Kelley on his official visit to Toledo.

One thing working in Toledo's favor is the relationship between Kelley and new cornerbacks coach at Toledo, Cory Robinson.

"My visit at Toledo was awesome, Coach Cory and I have a great relationship, I knew him before he even got to Toledo. He's basically a legend in Baltimore because he's had his hand in the success of many inner-city athletes that probably would not be where they are today without him. He trains defensive backs in the DMV area and that's how I knew him before Toledo offered me."

Coach Candle made a difference during Kelley's visit, but his wife, Nicole, also helped in on Kelley's visit. "Coach Candle's wife gave me some insight regarding my business major and nursing minor, the alum at UT and the professors."

Kelley also stated that Toledo is his favorite but he does have one more visit to take, which will be to North Dakota State this weekend. "I will make my decision on Monday or Tuesday, I feel that it's more professional to let coaches know I will or will not be signing before signing day."

Due to the relationship between Kelley and Coach Robinson as well as the player connection between him and his visit hosts, Kennedy Frazier and Delando Johnson, I'd say Toledo is a certain landing spot for Kelley's services. Another added benefit is that Kelley has three seasons of eligibility remaining, rather than just two, like several JUCO products.


In recruiting, the "Athlete" position can be quite confusing. For those that don't know, an Athlete is exactly what it sounds like, someone that can do anything, play anywhere, and make plays. Jacksonville, Fla. product, Jacquez Williams is the definition of the term, "Athlete."

Jacksonville, Fla. product, Jacquez Williams.
"I'm a receiver, I can play slot, I play cornerback and safety, I'm pretty much everywhere," joked Williams. Despite the versatility of Williams, Toledo is recruiting him as a cornerback. Williams will officially visit Toledo the weekend of the 29th of January but one interesting aspect to him is that the Rockets have yet to offer.

"I have offers from Marshall, Western Kentucky, Charlotte and UMass but Toledo is one of my dream schools and I'd commit on the spot," he told me. Wow, high praise for a player with some notable offers to his name already but Toledo would be fortunate to have a ball-hawk like Williams. Coach Ricky Ciccone setup Williams' official visit while head coach, Jason Candle has been contacting him for the over the past week or so.

The question isn't if Williams will choose Toledo, the question is will Williams receive an offer during his official visit to Northwest Ohio?


Let's now turn to the offensive side of the ball. As Rocket Nation knows, Toledo has had one of the most dynamic offenses in all of College Football for the past five or so seasons, especially under the offensive coordination of Jason Candle. People always say, "Players make coaches, coaches don't make players," which could be true to an extent but Jason Candle was able to bring in an extremely high quality signal-caller on January 25.

Columbia, Tennessee native, Tylin Oden was on Toledo's campus this week for the men's basketball game against Ohio, a campus tour, and much more. Oden is a 6'5", 190-pound somewhat dual-threat quarterback that would fit absolutely seamlessly in Candle's up-tempo offense.
Quarterback, Tylin Oden, who has recently committed to
Rutgers. Photo Courtesy: Spring Hill Homepage.

"I give my visit to Toledo an A+ and I give that for reasons beyond just football too," Oden told me, "What I liked most was about it was how nice and respectful everyone was on my visit."

Despite the 'A+' visit to Northwest Ohio, Oden found himself with some offers that he couldn't pass up. In fact, Oden held interest from several Power Five programs, including interest from Oklahoma State and South Carolina plus an offer from Rutgers, where he would later commit on January 27.

"My family and I just really liked what Rutgers had to offer me," Oden continued on his commitment to new head coach, Chris Ash and the Scarlet Knights. Oden will have an opportunity to compete for playing time right off the bat in New Jersey but was called, "One of Toledo's most important visitors they've ever had on campus," by several die-hard Rocket fans, it could be a stretch, but Oden would have been a tremendous fit with Candle and Toledo, especially since the Rockets are without a true quarterback in the 2016 class as of right now.

The Blur, Calvin Jackson Jr.
Turning now to wide receiver, there has been a lot of hype around Pamprano Beach, Fla. wide receiver, Calvin Jackson Jr., or 'The Blur' as we refer to him as. Jackson tells me he will decide between Akron, Iowa State and Toledo and says the Rockets are, "Considered high on my chart." The three-star speedster fits the mold of a Bernard Reedy or current wide out, Corey Jones. Jackson has the ability to catch screen passes and take them the distance, hence the nickname, 'Blur.' Jackson also tells me he will most likely make his decision on Sunday or Monday but there's a chance it could be a National Signing Day decision. Jackson did not comment on his visits to Iowa State or Toledo.



I'll be LIVE from the Larimer Athletic Complex at The University of Toledo to cover the National Signing Day press conference. I'll be there beginning at 1:00 pm with the press conference beginning at 2:00 pm featuring a fan event at 5:30 pm. Follow me on Twitter for updates! @ToledoZach

No comments:

Post a Comment